Wednesday 25 June 2014

Kickstarter Campaign Managers - Yet Someone Else Trying to Make a Quick Buck

After starting my kickstarter project to fund my next comic, The Pink Pantser, I was immediately contacted in Kickstarter by someone offering to help me:

Hi NiCheng,
I wanted to get your best contact/email. Let me know if you would like some extra assistance in driving more support. I think I have the perfect audience in mind. Shoot me your email when you get a chance.
Thanks!"
Since I had posted about Pink Pantser on the Ultimate Superheroine Forum, and Superheroines In Bondage forum, I had figured it was someone from that community who was trying to be supportive of the little guy (me). So I responded, but didn't receive a reply.

Then the following day I received this message in Kickstarter from someone named "Madison Meyer":
Hi NiCheng ,
I wanted to compliment you on your campaign. You should commend yourself for getting this far with it. Let me know if you want some help in reaching the right audiences. I'm always looking to help out crowdfunders like yourself. Let's get in touch
At this point I grew suspicious...this sounded less like people interested in helping me achieve my goal as much as it sounded like someone hoping to part me from my cash. I replied asking if they were offering some kind of service. I never received a response. Madison Meyer's kickstarter account is now deleted.

Since I had tied my Facebook account to the Kickstarter project, at the same time I got a message from someone named "Diana J. Simpson" from a group called "Get Me Crowdfunded". She started off saying this:
I’m sure you get plenty of messages regarding your campaign, some compliments, and many trying to sell you something…The truth is you’re here to develop funds, not spend them.
 She then proceeded to tell me all about the services they offer, for the sale (this week only!) price of $199.

While it's hardly surprising that the success of kickstarter has created an entire cottage industry of "kickstarter-starters" it's still a little disappointing to put a lot of effort into one's project just to be pounced on by all the sharks waiting in the shadows.

If you're running a kickstarter campaign, then you've probably already run into these electronic snake-oil salesmen. I don't trust them, certainly not for an erotic kickstarter project.

In the meantime, I continue to look for ways to promote my erotic kickstarter project without having to pay someone to spam it for me. Any suggestions? Only 40 days left!


No comments:

Post a Comment